By members of the Society at the AGM (Regulations 2.1)
The President-Elect role is a key leadership role, with responsibility for ensuring the effective operation of the Society within its Charter, byelaws, regulations, strategic aims and mission.
The President-Elect role lasts for one year and enables a future President to understand the functioning of the Society and to engage with membership, stakeholders and the Head Office in a way that will support their future Presidential role as Chair of the Board and Chair of Trustees and leader of the Executive Team.
The President-Elect is an active member of the Executive (the Presidential Trio and the Chief Executive), providing guidance on addressing the challenges and opportunities of the Society, supporting the implementation of the Society’s strategic aims and helping to provide oversight of the work of the CEO and the Head Office.
Time Commitment and Activities
The President-Elect role is one of the most rewarding, but committed, roles in the Board.
The President-Elect represents BOHS with key partners and organisations, such as the Occupational Health Multi-disciplinary Forum.
A key focus of the role is to support the Regions, including attending regional meetings and to work with the Head Office team to coordinate responses to technical documents on behalf of the BOHS.
In addition, the President-Elect will attend weekly (virtual) executive meetings and will chair one of the key Board Committee meetings and Head Office Away Days.
The President-Elect will take on the role of President the following year following the AGM
- Serve as Vice-Chair of the Board and Chair of one of the Board Committees
- Deputise for the President as agreed/required from time to time.
- Provides motivation and stimulus to the Regions including presenting at each of the BOHS Regions. Attend the Regional Organisers and Topic Leaders meeting on the day before the Annual Conference.
- Support the Annual Conference including chairing sessions and welcoming Society guests.
- An active member of the Executive (the Presidential Trio and the Chief Executive).
- Succeed the President at the end of the Annual General Meeting.
- Co-ordinate, with the support of Head Office, the Society’s response to HSE and other Consultations.