Ergonomics Essentials (including Manual Handling and DSE) M506 (replaces W506 OHTA course)
This examination aims to provide you with a broad-based introduction to ergonomic principles and their application in the design of work, equipment and the workplace. Consideration is given to muscular-skeletal disorders, manual handling, and ergonomic aspects of the environment as well as to the social and legal aspects.
Who is it for?
This examination is suitable for technicians and technologists who carry out measurements and testing in workplaces.
How to prepare
Candidates can prepare by self-study, but are recommended to follow appropriate in-company training, University course or other course provided by a reputable training provider.
On completing this examination, you will be able to:
- Apply ergonomic principles to the creation of safer, healthier and more efficient and effective activities in the workplace
- Conduct ergonomic risk assessments
- Develop appropriate control measures for ergonomic risk factors
- Describe work-related causes of musculoskeletal disorders
- Design a workplace according to good ergonomic principles
- Assess ergonomic aspects of the working environment and work for an organisation
There will be a 40 short answer question “open book” examination with an allowed time of 120 minutes.
M506 is recognised for the purpose of professional training and education by the Faculty of Occupational Hygiene, the Professional Standards Body for UK Occupational Hygiene, Chartered Professional Body and statutory body for the recognition in the UK of overseas professional qualifications in Industrial/Occupational Hygiene.
BOHS is no longer an authorised examining body for the OHTA W506 module or part of the OHTA international training scheme and qualifications framework.