BOHS Honorary Treasurer
Annually, by members of the Society at the AGM (Regulations 2.1 and 2.4), eligible for re-election.
A Board member is both a board director and a trustee of the charity.
The Honorary Treasurer role is the key role to oversee the financial management and compliance of the Society within Charity and Company Law and its Charter, byelaws, regulations, strategic aims and mission.
To work with Head Office to monitor the financial management and reporting of the BOHS and report to Board at regular intervals on that and its state of financial health, in line with best practice and in compliance with the BOHS governing documents and legal requirements.
- Serve as the principal Board Member with oversight of financial risk on behalf of the Board and the Society
- Ensure that the annual financial statement is submitted by Head Office for audit and that the annual report is submitted to the Charity Commission
- Ensure the provision of a financial statement for consideration by Board and inclusion in the Society’s Annual Report, amplifying key points in an oral presentation to the AGM.
- Together with the Chief Executive, agree a draft annual budget for presentation to the Board
- Together with the Chief Executive monitor reserves and agree a reserves policy for recommendation to the Board
- Regularly review and critique financial reports and advise the Board of any financial matters if not already reported by the Head Office team
- Supervise the expenditure, including being involved in the approval of larger transactions
- Approve and supervise financial policies for the Society and position statements as required for meetings of Board.
- Together with the Finance and Resources Manager, monitor adherence to financial procedures.
- Serve as a member of Board, and an ex officio member of the Annals Editorial Board.
- Together with other Officers, act when required as one of two co-signatories of cheques, etc. drawn on Society accounts (Regulations 3.1, Financial Principles and Operational Guidelines).
(The Honorary Treasurer is a Board Member, Director and a Trustee of the charity, but enjoys full indemnity for their activities.)
In addition to the above responsibilities, as a Board member and Trustee, to represent the interests of members and to work with other Board Members and the Officers of the Society to provide governance and direction for the Society through the effective strategic oversight of its operations and the work of the Head Office, including:
- oversight of risk
- oversight of financial management
- oversight of compliance within the context of Charity and Company Law
- focus on the realization of the mission and strategic aims of the Society
- advice to, support and oversight of Head Office functions, as reported in Quarterly Meetings
- upholding standards
- identifying Reserve Powers
- engaging in pro-active, positive communications with members