Volunteer with us
Volunteering is an important aspect of the Society. We offer an array of roles that support the running of the Society and strive towards improving the profession. Volunteers can use these opportunities to support their own professional development by learning new skills and gaining new knowledge, whilst at the same time knowing that they are contributing to the Society's mission to ensure that work is not a cause of acute or chronic ill-health.
The types of opportunities include:
- Becoming a mentor to an early-career Occupational Hygienist to help them build confidence and improve their skills
- Writing technical guidance that could be published on the BOHS website to support employers with managing their workplace
- Representing BOHS on an industry committee to share information and highlight the resources available from the Society
- Speaking at a conference on a topic relating to occupational hygiene or the work of the Society.
The benefits of volunteering
Many of our volunteers find the volunteering experience to be a rewarding one; it complements their usual work, and provides them with new opportunities to:
- Build a network of contacts amongst the occupational hygiene profession
- Develop confidence in public speaking, meeting facilitation, influencing and leadership
- Enhance technical knowledge
"I gain so much satisfaction from being able to support BOHS. In return I have been able to grow my network, speak to industry leads in key areas, develop my skills at presenting and coordinating, and take away a sense of pride that I have been able to strengthen the OH profession."
Planning your volunteering journey
- Competency framework - self review
- Check list of roles
“Volunteering with BOHS has allowed me fantastic opportunities to develop and demonstrate leadership and team-working skills. It has also given me the opportunity to assist in improving the working lives of the GB workforce.”