Research Scientist: Gas Specialist
The Health and Safety Executive is Britain’s national regulator for workplace health and safety. We’re dedicated to protecting people and places, ensuring everyone can lead safer and healthier lives at work.
We are now looking for a Research Scientist to join our team on a permanent, full-time or part-time basis.
- Buxton, Derbyshire (with hybrid working and travel across the UK)
- Salary of £40,788 - £46,783 per annum
- 25 days’ annual holiday, increasing to 30 days after five years' service, plus bank holidays and one day Civil Service privilege leave
- Civil Service Pension Scheme
- Parental leave benefits
- Family friendly policies and working hours
- Career friendly policies
- Learning and development tailored to your role
- An environment with flexible working options
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
- Excess Fares Allowance
This is a unique opportunity for a scientist with experience of gas detection and measurement and conducting laboratory and field-based work to join our essential organisation.
You’ll have the chance to be at the forefront of impactful research, working at our internationally renowned scientific facility and providing the industry and Government with imperative health and safety solutions.
What’s more, you’ll get to experience a hybrid working model that combines flexibility and collaboration whilst enjoying the benefits of flexible working hours, allowing you to balance all your personal and professional commitments.
As a Research Scientist, you will deliver research and testing regimes within the field of gas detection for HSE and commercial customers.
Designing, developing and delivering laboratory experiments, you will evaluate and test gas measurement techniques and instruments, in conjunction with field-based measurements.
You will also assist with organising and managing workplace studies to undertake aerosol and bioaerosol measurements, including ethics submissions, participant and site recruitment, sampling strategies and methodology and developing questionnaires.
Additionally, you will:
- Share the outcomes of your work through peer-reviewed publications and presentations
- Develop the technical capacity and professional standing of gas detection
- Keep up to date with developments in the worldwide aerosol community
- Provide input to key international and UK meetings, conferences and standards
To be considered as a Research Scientist, you will need:
- Practical experience of gas detection and measurement
- Laboratory and field-based experience in real-time gas measurement instrumentation
- Experience of writing research proposals, business cases and/or applications for funding and obtaining ethics approvals
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- At a minimum, a degree level qualification in a relevant Science subject e.g. Physics, Chemistry, Engineering, etc.
- A full, valid driving licence
The closing date for this role is 13th November 2023.
Other organisations may call this role Gas Detection Scientist, Gas Measurement Specialist, H&S Engineer, H&S Scientist, Scientist, Health and Safety Scientist, Researcher, Health and Safety Researcher, Gas Safety Researcher, or Gas Safety Scientist.
Webrecruit and Health and Safety Executive are equal opportunities employers, value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment. Equal opportunities are the only acceptable way to conduct business and we believe that the more inclusive our environments are, the better our work will be.
So, if you’re looking for a hands-on role as a Research Scientist, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.