Occupational / Industrial Hygienist
Job Title: Occupational / Industrial Hygienist
Business: Tata Steel UK
Department: Health, Safety & Environment
Location: Port Talbot, South Wales
Salary Range: £30,000 – £40,000 + Benefits
Closing Date: 11:00pm on 26th November 2021
We are looking to recruit an Occupational / Industrial Hygienist to plan, monitor, deploy and report on the programme of industrial hygiene surveys for Tata Steel UK across our UK operations
Within the role, you will provide an expert support service for the business relating to the control and reduction of hygiene risks. The purpose of this role is to monitor and maintain legislative compliance with external Workplace Exposure Limits (WEL) in order to protect the health of our workforce in line with Tata Steel UK improvement strategies focused around the business’ top 5 health risks.
Duties and responsibilities within the role will include but not be limited to:
- Participating in and carrying out the agreed departmental programme of Industrial Hygiene surveys and ensuring that the findings are valid and accurate and meet the agreed Quality Assurance standards.
- Analysing and interpreting the results of the investigations / surveys, providing appropriate information in the form of technical notes and reports. Ensuring the correct conclusions and recommendations are relayed to customers across Tata Steel UK.
- Communicating with other Technical/Management staff both internally and external to Tata on matters of industrial hygiene
- Gathering information and expertise relevant to the research and investigations / surveys being undertaken. Initiating new surveys / projects where required and monitoring progress of existing projects, instigating appropriate action to meet the requirements where necessary
- Continually developing technical expertise in occupational health and noise pollution ensuring the best possible contribution to the overall technical performance of the Industrial Hygiene Department.
- Ensuring that safe and effective methods of working are used to avoid potential accidents and to make utilisation of both the time and equipment available.
- Provide practical solutions to areas of perceived knowledge gaps from analysis to assist line management with their responsibilities in respect to health & safety legal compliance & aspirations
- Involvement in preparing health and safety strategies, developing internal policy and continuously looking to improve in house standards by creating and developing further supporting procedures and documents.
- Undertake targeted audits and Leadsafe audits of the works areas to ensure the continued effectiveness of the management system, legal compliance and compliance with business standards.
Build and manage professional relationships with peers from other businesses.
What are we looking for?
In order to be considered for this position, applicants will need to have the following skills and attributes:
- Previous experience of Occupational Hygiene within an industrial environment.
- Educated to degree level in a relevant subject, you will ideally possess or be working towards the BOHS Certificate of Operational Competence in Occupational Hygiene,
- Understanding and experience of Industrial Hygiene related legislation
- In-depth understanding of best practice available techniques for conducting industrial hygiene related surveys and the associated risk reduction techniques (including physical installation, use and maintenance of industrial hygiene survey equipment).
- Understanding of the location of available internal and external guidance / codes of practice.
- Able to identify and manage risks associated with change & support MOC procedures
- Information Technology - competent use of IT i.e. Outlook, SAP, Microsoft office suite, SharePoint, survey equipment software.
- Ability to professionally articulate complex information to stakeholders at all levels of Tata Steel UK.
- Diplomacy and influencing skills to promote adherence to hygiene improvement strategies within Tata Steel UK businesses (at all levels including senior management).
- Ability to think strategically and deliver holistic improvements across Tata Steel UK.
- Able to work with others in an interdisciplinary manner. Is able to take multiple perspectives and express empathy with challenges faced by line management coupled with maintaining a professional and independent approach.
- Ability to analyse complex problems ensuring they are practically interpretation. Lead and participate in problem solving teams.
- Visibly demonstrate & promote Tata Values. Able to identify ability in local individuals and promote motivation through active listening and engagement.
- Communicate effectively at all levels within the business and Tata including ability to deliver training. Able to communicate for and on behalf of Tata with external bodies.
- Literacy - able to prepare written reports to a very high standard, using straight forward language appropriate to the report level & audience.
What we offer
Tata Steel UK offers their employees significant benefits packages. For this role, you will benefit from:
- A market competitive salary
- Private Healthcare Scheme (Individual cover)
- Annual Bonus Scheme – subject to business performance
- One of the UK’s leading defined contribution pension schemes (10% employer contribution / 6% employee contribution)
- Annual Pay Review
- Employee discount scheme for companies including Vodafone, Nissan, Jaguar Land Rover and also various local services
You may be also interested to know that we have an extensive list of lifestyle benefits including free onsite parking at all of our sites, an employee assistance programme as well as discounts with local and national retailers and services.
Tata Steel is one of the world’s top ten steel producers. The combined group has an aggregate crude steel capacity of more than 28 million tonnes and approximately 80,000 employees across four continents. We’re part of the Tata Group, one of the largest, most diverse conglomerates in the world with businesses in the UK including Tata Steel, Jaguar Land Rover and Tetley Tea.
Our Strip Products UK manufactures hot-rolled, cold-rolled and metallic-coated strip steels and provides solutions in product design, processing technologies and management of the supply chain. We work closely with our customers to help them obtain the best results from our products. Our business aims to lead the market with the best products and services and we work continuously to improve them.
To learn more about who we are and what we can offer our future employees, please click on the link to watch the following video: https://bcove.video/3t8zLdG