OCCUPATIONAL HYGIENE TECHNICIAN
Purpose of the role:
Bylor are currently recruiting for an Occupational Hygiene Technician on our Hinkley Point C Contract. This is a rare and unique opportunity for someone at the beginning of their career or looking to progress at one of the largest and most complex projects in Europe. This role will offer considerable opportunity for the right person to develop within their profession and help provide a positive workplace health legacy for the site. This unique, ever-changing and complex environment will challenge the chosen individual.
The technician will report to and work closely with the Occupational Hygiene, Health and Ergonomics Lead. You will help identify, evaluate and control various workplace health hazards across the site, along with providing support to ensure various regulatory and site requirements are met and maintained to the highest possible standard.
Key responsibilities and specific accountabilities:
- Undertaking occupational hygiene monitoring and surveys for a range of chemical, physical and biological agents such as dust, respirable crystalline silica, noise, welding fumes, gases, organic vapours, noise, vibration, thermal environment, LEV assessment, etc.
- Prepare written technical reports relating to occupational hygiene.
- Carry out regular workplace inspections to assess occupational hygiene related aspects in light with relevant regulations. Ensure that the site occupational hygiene standards are maintained to the highest possible standard.
- Maintain and support the hygiene and health management systems along with the health risk assessment scheme.
- Liaise with various stakeholders and employees.
- Support occupational health programs.
- Provide occupational hygiene technical knowledge and support to various personnel.
- Provide hygiene and health awareness training / programs where required.
Essential skills & knowledge:
- An analytical approach and high level of attention to detail.
- Problem solving skills and the ability to operate effectively under pressure.
- The ability to work independently and also as a part of a team to meet hygiene / health objectives.
- Demonstrated experience in an occupational hygiene role or similar role.
- Experience in Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) regs.
- Knowledge in techniques for conducting occupational hygiene surveys and assessments (set up and use of equipment).
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to gain the confidence and cooperation of the workforce.
- Negotiation skills and the capacity to persuade others in order to achieve results and initiate action.
- An understanding of practical conditions in construction industry and the ability to apply workable (reasonable) solution.
Education & Qualifications:
- Must hold relevant qualification(s) – a Diploma and / or a Science Degree
- Relevant experience in a similar role is essential ideally in construction, engineering or consultancy.
- Must hold the following BOHS module: W501 (W503 & W505 Preferred)
Bouygues Travaux Publics (TP) and Laing O’Rourke, two of Europe’s most dynamic engineering and construction specialists, are working together in a joint venture named BYLOR to deliver the main civil engineering works at Hinkley Point C (HPC) worth over £2.8 billion.
Bylor are pushing the boundaries of innovation and modern technology while delivering high quality construction on a massive scale. Bylor have already broken the UK record for the largest continuous concrete pour of 9,000m3 of concrete.
This is great opportunity to be part of a dynamic organisation that is challenging the industry and making history.
All positions with Bylor are employed directly with either Laing O’Rourke or Bouygues Travaux Public and include competitive salaries, private medical insurance, company pension schemes and annual holiday allowance. Some grades will also include a company car allowance.
In addition, Bylor will help support the development of the occupational hygiene technician and provide further training.
Unless stated otherwise all positions are based at Hinkley Point C in Somerset.
Somerset boasts beautiful English countryside, an attractive coastline, interesting towns and villages along with easy access to the M5 and within proximity to the cities of Bristol and Exeter.
Bylor are committed to being an equal opportunities employer and promote greater equality, diversity and inclusion in our workplace.