Job Title: Assistant Examiner
Reports to: Chief Examiner
Contract: part-time, fixed-term 2 years – renewable
Place of work: BOHS Head Office, Derby UK – Home working
Salary: Full-time equivalent Circa £25k
Overview of BOHS
The British Occupational Hygiene Society (BOHS) is the UK’s Chartered body for the science and profession of occupational hygiene and a leading national voice for worker health protection. Occupational hygiene is the scientific discipline that protects people against the wide range of health risks that can arise from exposures to hazardous substances or conditions at work. BOHS’ vision is simple: a healthy working environment for everyone. Through supporting our members and releasing their volunteering passion, we aim to make a real difference to the protection of worker health.
We are a growing organisation with over 1500 members and 20 staff. We are a Royal Charter Company and registered charity, engaged at both national and international level; influencing policy, raising awareness, publishing research, supporting our members, and championing education and standards. We have a Faculty responsible for the maintenance of professional standards, which is also the only UK awarding body for occupational hygiene qualifications.
Following significant growth and modernisation in recent years, we are embarking on an ambitious new 5-year strategy. We are seeking a new self-motivated team member to join our team and help drive our vision forward.
Purpose of the Role
The purpose of the role is to support the society to deliver the high standard expected of our chartered society awarding body.
To support and to occasionally act as deputy to the Chief Examiner in the provision of technical occupational Health and academic advice to support the administration, on-going development, and management of qualifications.
To contribute to a widening area of participation and compliance nationally and globally, while supporting colleagues within the qualifications and commercial training department with education and technical advice.
The Assistant Examiner will work with the Chief Examiner in the duties regarding all Faculty examination issues and will be responsible for coordinating projects and working groups as agreed.
We are looking for an excellent communicator, someone who can disseminate information as appropriate to the audience.
This is an exciting role for someone who has experience of occupational hygiene preferably in an education environment and wishes to further their career by being involved in a small organisation where they will have the opportunity to influence the future of competency in the field.
What we expect of you
You will have a passion for fairness and high technical standards in assessing competence, ensuring that the credibility and professional standing of the Faculty’s qualifications is maintained. You should be a self-starter, able to demonstrate outstanding organisational and analysis skills. You will also be expected to manage multiple tasks and stakeholders across a range of subjects.
Attention to detail and a commitment to accuracy are required to provide fair assessments to candidates as is a proactive and positive approach whilst working with non-specialist colleagues and stakeholders. The successful candidate will exhibit a passion for online education, new technologies and looking for new ways to challenge how we develop and maintain our qualifications and training.
Experience investigating, handling, and resolving customer queries and complaints and or complex enquiries (written and verbally) is desirable. Personal experience working within or alongside a regulated sector such as higher education, further education any other target driven environment requiring strong negotiation skills and attention to detail is desirable.
What you can expect of us
- A flexible, supportive, and friendly working environment.
- The chance to make a real difference to the lives of working people.
- A competitive third sector salary.
- 25 days annual leave (which includes 3 days Christmas office closure) pro rata for part time.
- Comprehensive benefits package including contributory pension, life assurance and healthcare.
- On the job support and training, with the opportunity be involved in a variety of activities and learn new systems, and so improve your skills and develop your career.
- On-going professional development opportunities.
Responsibilities of the Role
- Respond to technical queries from the administration team on occupational health & academic subject matter and provide advice.
- Ensuring that all candidates are examined fairly through following Ofqual regulations regarding assessment
- Contributing to developing new subjects project teams and keeping the syllabi of the Faculty’s examinations up to date with legislation and professional practice
- Developing syllabi for new qualifications in the field of occupational hygiene practice as appropriate within working groups, taking the lead when necessary
- Standardisation of marking and question banks, drafting questions and compiling examination papers
- Contributing to examinations appeals procedures and panels
- Attending the Technical Advisory group meetings
- Advising staff when changes are made externally in the profession and industry therefore ensuring that the examination system complies with the requirements contained in relevant legislation
- Conducting reviews and checks of current examinations papers and checking new questions are appropriate
- Make recommendations to inform management decisions and be familiar with current subject matter developments & regulations
- Support colleagues with projects and quality assurance processes.
- Undertake any other duties required by the Society, for which you are skilled and able to undertake to ensure the smooth running of the organisation.
- Communicate technical analyses to a non-specialist audience
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and on multiple projects
- Assisting the Chief Examiner in handling of any escalated queries or complaints, relating to any results, course suitability, learning activities, or examinations.
- Supporting the team with any investigation of and responding to customer complaints/enquiries alongside staff
- Conducting regular reviews of our practices supporting the Chief Examiner to develop and maintain the skills required by markers, tutors to operate our qualifications
- Contribute to internal procedural audits to identify and resolve security risks/process weakness.
- Attend events occasionally in person or virtually to support the Chief Examiner in delivering sessions that support the quality and integrity of BOHS qualifications.
The above list is not exhaustive, and the right person will have the opportunity to shape this role according to the organisation’s requirements and make it their own.
This table outlines the qualities, abilities and experience which are essential for this role and in addition those which are desirable in a successful candidate.
|EXPERIENCE||At least 5 years' experience of working in Occupational Hygiene||Experience in working in a policy or education environment|
|Have experience working in an educational or academic or regulatory body||Have experience acting as an examiner|
|Be a Chartered or Specialist Member of the BOHS Faculty of Occupational Hygiene
(Licentiates who are eligible to apply for this status within 2 years will be considered).
|Deep applied expertise in one or more of the following occupational hygiene topics (measurement, control of exposure, noise and other physical agents, biological agents)|
|The use of ICT systems and software, e.g. Excel||The use of educational information systems|
|Assembling and Interpreting data into meaningful summaries||Managing the work of others|
|KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS||GCSE English & Maths at grade C or higher (or equivalent qualifications)||Degree or equivalent|
|Hold the Certificate of Operational Competence in Occupational Hygiene or an equivalent specialist qualification.||Hold the Diploma in Occupational Hygiene.
|Expert organisational and project management skills|
|Able to clearly communicate information to a range of stakeholders|
|Ability to quickly read, digest, understand and impart technical/business information|
|COMPETENCIES AND BEHAVIOURS||Work on own initiative- thinking outside the box and problem solving skills|
|Ability to analyse data and present it in a clear and concise manner|
|Accurate record keeping and attention to detail|
|Self-motivated and the ability to motivate others|
|Effective in developing relationships|
|OTHER REQUIREMENTS||Committed to privacy and data protection, maintaining confidentiality|
How to apply
Further information on BOHS and its activities can be found on BOHS’ website, www.bohs.org.
To apply for this post please email your CV and a cover letter outlining what you feel is relevant to this role to email@example.com
The closing date for receipt of applications is close of business on Monday, 08 February 2021. The provisional date for interview is Tuesday, 23 February 2021