Surveying and Sampling Strategies for Asbestos in Buildings P402
Asbestos surveyors play an important role in ensuring that building premises are safe for normal occupational use. Following the Control of Asbestos Regulations (CAR) 2012, Regulation 4, they can play a key role in identifying and recording where asbestos is present and likely to be disturbed in a premises and then starting the assessment of that material to determine how hazardous it is.
They also play a crucial role during refurbishment and demolition works to identify the asbestos within the scope of the proposed works, for it to be removed safely. The P402 - Surveying and Sampling Strategies for Asbestos in Buildings qualification gives surveyors the requisite background knowledge and practical skills to identify and safely survey buildings for asbestos.
Who is it for?
This qualification is suitable for
- Asbestos surveyors, or managers of surveyors and surveying teams
- Asbestos re-inspectors, or anyone that undertakes asbestos re-inspections
- Those who require a detailed understanding of asbestos surveying principles (e.g. asbestos report writers, architects, building surveyors etc.)
This is a level 4 qualification in the BOHS qualifications framework, equivalent to NVQ Level 4.
How is it delivered?
The P402 course will require at least 18 hours of study time, of which at least 14 hours will be taught (teaching and practical assessments) and 4 hours will be independent (in your own time). In addition there will be 3 hours of examination time.
Content / Learning outcomes
To provide you with the theoretical knowledge and practical ability to undertake surveys of buildings in relation to asbestos. Also, to be able to provide guidance and recommendations for appropriate management actions to minimise exposure to any identified asbestos.
On completion of this module, you will be able to demonstrate appropriate knowledge and the correct practical methods to:
- Understand building construction and how asbestos was used
- Identify and take samples of different asbestos containing materials
- Understand the different survey types and their requirements
- Carry out material assessments
- Understand and utilise all safety controls during surveys and sampling
- Provide accurate and comprehensive survey reports
- Building construction and the uses of asbestos
- Survey types
- Bulk sampling and material assessments
- Survey reports
- Quality control
You must pass three parts within 12 months:
- Practical assessment
- Written examination 1
- Written examination 2
- Further information about the practical assessment and examinations plus sample examination questions