Management of Asbestos in Buildings (including Asbestos Removal) P405
People that own or manage non-domestic premises have a legal duty under the Control of Asbestos Regulations (CAR) 2012, Regulation 4 to manage identified asbestos within their premises, and to protect those working within them from exposure to asbestos. The effective management of identified asbestos in buildings is an essential and challenging area of work, often requiring the procurement of services from asbestos surveyors, removal contractors and analysts.
P405 – Management of Asbestos in Buildings (including Asbestos Removal) is the industry-standard qualification for those whose work involves asbestos management, such as duty holders, building managers, responsible persons, and those who look after asbestos management data. It provides the background knowledge required to manage identified asbestos in buildings and ensures that appropriate management processes are followed and documented properly. It also gives you the knowledge to make better procurement decisions, and to monitor the quality of the services provided by other asbestos professionals through understanding the standards and procedures that you should be following.
The P405 qualification conforms with the training requirements outlined in CAR 2012, Regulation 4 and L143 – Managing and working with asbestos Approved Code of Practice.
Who is it for?
The qualification is suitable for duty holders, or anyone who assists them in the discharge of their responsibilities. It is also suitable for anyone who:
- Manages asbestos in buildings
- Procures asbestos-related services
- Wishes to progress into asbestos management from asbestos surveying or analysis
The level of a qualification indicates the relative complexity and depth of knowledge and skills required to attain the qualification.
This is a level 4 qualification in the BOHS qualifications framework, equivalent to NVQ Level 4 and HNC.
How is it delivered?
The P405 course will require at least 32 hours of study time, of which at least 28 hours will be taught (teaching and practical assessments) and 4 hours will be independent (in your own time). In addition there will be 4 hours of examination time.
Content / Learning outcomes
To provide you with practical knowledge and skills to manage asbestos in buildings and to provide a basic knowledge of asbestos removal procedures.
On completion of this module, you will be able to demonstrate the correct method for:
- Understanding the legal framework and how it applies
- Understanding the different survey types and their requirements
- Developing an action plan and properly managing asbestos
- Identifying appropriate asbestos remediation procedures
- Understanding the air monitoring required following asbestos remediation
- Management of Asbestos in Buildings
- Asbestos Remediation
- Role of the Laboratory/Analysts
You must pass three parts within 12 months:
- Practical assessment
- Written examination 1
- Written examination 2
- Further information about the practical assessment and examinations plus sample examination questions