Management of Asbestos in Buildings IP405
IP405 Management of Asbestos in Buildings is the second in the suite of international asbestos qualifications following on from and complementing IP402 Surveying and Sampling Strategies for Asbestos in Buildings. The effective management of asbestos is an essential and challenging area of work, often requiring the procurement of services from asbestos surveyors, removal contractors, assessors and analysts. This qualification provides the necessary background knowledge to make better procurement decisions and to monitor the quality of the services by understanding the work procedures and acceptable standards of performance.
Who is it for?
The qualification is suitable for duty holders and persons conducting a business or undertaking (PCBU), or anyone who assists them in the discharge of their responsibilities.
It is also suitable for anyone who:
- manages asbestos in buildings;
- procures asbestos-related services;
- wishes to progress into asbestos management from asbestos surveying, assessment or analysis.
The level of a qualification indicates the relative complexity and depth of knowledge and skills required to attain the qualification.
This is a level 4 qualification in the BOHS qualifications framework.
Different countries use different levels, but this qualification is comparable to level 4 in the Regulated Qualifications Framework in England and level 5 in the European Qualifications Framework.
How is it delivered?
The IP405 course will generally run over five consecutive days and include 24 hours of teaching.
The course can be delivered more flexibly, such as on one day per week for five weeks, but should still include 24 hours of teaching.
The teaching hours may be reduced by approximately 6 hours if you are more experienced.
In addition to the teaching time, you will be expected to undertake at least 6 hours’ independent study in your own time.
Modules / Learning objectives
To provide you with the background knowledge required to procure asbestos surveying, removal, assessment and analytical services and to monitor the quality of the services by understanding the work procedures.
- Asbestos Properties and Regulatory Requirements
- Management of Asbestos in Buildings
- Asbestos Remediation
- Role of Laboratory/Analyst
- Practical Work
You must pass the two parts within 12 months:
- Written Theory examination
- Written Practical examination
- Further information can be found in the course specification, under the ‘Downloadable Resources’ information box above.
- BOHS Online Exam information and FAQs - Click here
In addition, the following supporting documentation will be made available to Approved Training Providers once approved by BOHS:
- A comprehensive Student Manual, which covers the full range of subject areas included in the qualification.
- A support pack for tutors which provides sample examination questions and guidance on the written examinations.