Surveying and Sampling Strategies for Asbestos in Buildings IP402
IP402 Surveying and Sampling Strategies for Asbestos in Buildings is the first of the suite of international qualifications. Asbestos surveyors play a critical role in preventing exposure to asbestos. This qualification covers the basic tried and tested knowledge and skills required to locate and identify asbestos-containing materials in buildings and provide advice to minimise the risk of exposure.
Who is it for?
The qualification is suitable for you if you are:
- required to survey buildings for asbestos as part of your work;
- considering a career in asbestos surveying;
- responsible for managing surveyors and surveying teams.
The level of a qualification indicates the relative complexity and depth of knowledge and skills required to attain the qualification.
This is a level 4 qualification in the BOHS qualifications framework.
Different countries use different levels, but this qualification is comparable to level 4 in the Regulated Qualifications Framework in England and level 5 in the European Qualifications Framework.
How is it delivered?
The IP402 course will generally run over three consecutive days and include 16 hours of teaching.
The course can be delivered more flexibly, such as on one day per week for three weeks, but should still include 16 hours of teaching.
The teaching hours may be reduced by approximately 4 hours if you are more experienced.
In addition to the teaching time, candidates should undertake at least 4 hours’ independent study in their own time.
Modules / Learning objectives
To improve your knowledge and skills as an asbestos surveyor to a standard which minimises the risk of exposure to airborne asbestos fibres.
- Introduction and good practice requirements
- Asbestos in buildings
- Risk assessments and management of asbestos
- Bulk sampling and personal decontamination
- Practical work
You will need to pass three parts within 12 months:
- Formative practical assessment
- Written Theory examination
- Written Practical examination
- Further information can be found in the course specification, under the ‘Downloadable Resources’ information box above.
- BOHS Online Exam information and FAQs - Click here
In addition, the following supporting documentation will be made available to Approved Training Providers once approved by BOHS:
- A comprehensive Student Manual, which covers the full range of subject areas included in the qualification.
- A support pack for tutors which provides sample examination questions and guidance on the written examinations.
Why Choose a BOHS Qualification
Choose your BOHS Qualification
Find the full list of qualifications and courses on offer