What Is Specialist Member Membership?
Engaged in specialist aspects of occupational hygiene?
Our Specialist Member grade is for those whose expertise lies in one area of occupational hygiene.
As a Specialist Member member you'll be able to use the MFOH (S) post-nominals and access all the membership benefits and resources.
All Specialist Members are required to:
- Complete CPD
- Comply with our Code of Ethics
To be eligible to you must:
hold an honours or postgraduate degree or equivalent qualification in a scientific or technological subject relevant to occupational hygiene, and have at least five years’ experience in the specialist subject offered.
- Successfully pass the three stages of application. They are references, submission of work and a professional discussion.
For further information read our guide: Applications for Specialist Member Grade.
- Post Nominal Letters - MFOH (S)
- Access to Home Office Group Licence for the current version of MDHS 25
- Eligible to apply for an entry in the BOHS Directory of Occupational Hygiene.
- Member rates at our paid events
- Free regional meetings on a range of topics
- Free subscription to the Annals of Work Exposures and Health, our peer-reviewed scientific journal usually worth over £1000, including access to the full archive
- Searchable online membership directory
- Regular E-bulletins with society and industry news
- BOHS' Exposure Magazine – keeping you up to date with society activities and giving information in a less scientific way
- Your onlineMy BOHS account
- Access to networks of professionals to build and exchange expertise and knowledge
- Access to technical publications and advice
- 20% discount on any public health and epidemiology titles published by OUP
From the 1st July the 2019 membership fee is £67.00
The application fee* is £155.00 and £400.00 for the professional discussion.
*Application fee is non-refundable.
You will need to renew your membership by the 31 December and each year after that. We will send you renewal information well before the date to remind you how much is due.
How do I Apply?
- Log in or register for a MyBOHS account using the link below
- Once logged in/register click on 'Become a member' from the membership drop down menu
- Select the Specialist Member option and follow the application process.
Already a Member? How do I Upgrade?
- Log in to your My BOHS account using the link below
- Once logged in click on 'Upgrade your membership' from the membership drop down menu
- Select the appropriate membership upgrade option and follow the application process.
If you are retired (full time) and an existing Specialist Member you might be eligible for Retired Specialist Member Grade. Retired membership means you no longer have to complete CPD, can use the post nominal letters MFOH (S) (Ret) and still have access to your membership benefits at a reduced cost.