Occupational hygienists are involved at the interface of people and their workplaces in a range of environments, from factories and building sites to offices.
What is a Career in Occupational Hygiene Like?
Careers in occupational hygiene are very rewarding:
- By delivering worker health protection we make a positive contribution to companies, employees and society, which feels good
- With a wide range of issues to address it is rare for consecutive days to be the same, which brings variety
- To resolve health hazard concerns you interact with a wide range of people, providing a high level of social interactions and influence
- There is a clear progression route in Occupational Hygiene and the scientific approach gives you the tools to resolve problems, opening up opportunities for progressing in wider HS&E roles
- By progressing to Chartered Occupational Hygienist your competence is on a par with other Chartered professionals
- And financially a trained Occupational Hygienist can expect to earn a good salary and progress with experience
Qualifications in Occupational Hygiene
Our qualifications range from Foundation courses at the start of your career, to Diploma courses to become a Chartered Occupational Hygienist, the leading global qualification in occupational hygiene. To find out more about our qualifications, please click here.
BOHS is the Chartered professional membership body for occupational hygienists in the UK, and a learned society for everyone interested in the field of worker health protection and occupational hygiene. Companies and other organisations can contact us for guidance on issues within the field of worker health protection.
Working in Occupational Hygiene
Some projects you might work on as an occupational hygienist include:
- Conducting a noise survey in a factory to determine the noise levels to which workers are exposed
- Measuring and sampling levels of dust in an aggregates plant or quarry, using specialist equipment to evaluate worker exposure
- Effectively managing the handling of chemical products in a factory, to prevent ill-health conditions such as musculoskeletal disorders, asthma and dermatitis