Surveying and Sampling Strategies for Asbestos in Buildings P402
Asbestos surveyors play an important role in ensuring that building premises are safe for normal occupational use. Following CAR2012 Regulation 4, they can play a key role in identifying and recording where asbestos is present and likely to be disturbed in a premises and then starting the assessment of that material to determine how hazardous it is.
They also play a crucial role during refurbishment and demolition works to identify the asbestos within the scope of the proposed works, for it to be removed safely. The P402 - Surveying and Sampling Strategies for Asbestos in Buildings qualification give surveyors the requisite background knowledge and practical skills to identify and safely survey buildings for asbestos.
Who is it for?
This qualification is suitable for
- Asbestos surveyors, or managers of surveyors and surveying teams
- Asbestos re-inspectors, or anyone that undertakes asbestos re-inspections
- Those who require a detailed understanding of asbestos surveying principles (e.g. asbestos report writers, architects, building surveyors etc.)
This is a level 4 qualification in the BOHS qualifications framework, equivalent to NVQ Level 4.
How is it delivered?
The P402 course runs typically over three consecutive days and includes:
- Twelve hours of teaching and learning time.
- 4 hours of independent study (in your own time)
The course can be delivered more flexibly, such as on one day per week for three weeks, but should still include 12 hours of teaching.
Modules / Learning objectives
To provide you with the background knowledge and practical skills in surveying buildings for asbestos, the assessment of asbestos-containing materials, and to provide general guidance on management procedures necessary to minimise exposure to any identified asbestos.
- Introduction and legislative requirements
- Asbestos in buildings
- Risk assessments and management of asbestos
- Bulk sampling and personal decontamination
- Practical work
You must pass three parts within 12 months:
- Formative practical assessment
- Written Theory examination
- Written Practical examination
- A comprehensive Student Manual, which covers the full range of subject areas included in the qualification
- A support pack for tutors which provides sample examination questions and guidance on the written examinations