FAQs for Candidates
1. I have failed my examination by only a few marks, can I have it re-marked?
If your initial marking fell into a borderline range, it is automatically passed to a second marker to validate. The final result is as marked/verified by the second marker and this is shown on your results notification letter. If they would like your paper to go to a third marker, please read this document: ‘Enquiring about an Examination Result’ for further information about their options.
2. Can BOHS provide a copy of my completed exam paper so I can see where I lost marks?
In order to maintain security of our exam questions, BOHS does not return completed exam papers to candidates or provide detailed information about low scoring answers.
Performance feedback is provided on the Exam Result Letter. We show the marks you obtained against the available marks, broken down by Syllabus area. This should enable you to focus your revision if a re-sit is required.
4. How do I re-sit an examination?
You can re-sit an examination with any BOHS approved training provider.
You will need to contact the training provider and book a slot on one of their future training course dates. For information on how to retake an examination and the associated costs please click here.
5. Do I have to refresh my examination qualification?
HSE guidelines recommend a refresh every 12 months. BOHS have a refresher course for the P402, P404 and P405 with other IP refreshers in development.
To see which training providers offer this course and dates available please click here.
6. I live in the UK however; I spend 50% of my time working overseas. What international qualifications does BOHS have to offer?
BOHS provides International Proficiency modules in Asbestos (IP402, IP403, IP404 and IP405) and offers IP601 in LEV. These are available predominantly in New Zealand and Australia however, they can be taken in the UK with selected BOHS approved training providers.
For course availability please click here.
International occupational hygiene modules are also available to occupational hygienists in certain countries abroad.
For further information on the international occupational hygiene modules please click here.
7. I have passed my practical exams and now have to submit reports to complete my qualification. Can I do this electronically?
Yes. Electronic submission of reports is preferred however, BOHS does accept reports in paper format as well.
For submission guidance in LEV qualifications please click here.
For submission guidance for Legionella qualifications please click here.
8. I have just taken my examination. When will I receive my results?
You will receive your results within the following days post-examination day, dependent on your location:
UK - 22 working days
International - 29 working days.
If a paper has been marked as borderline, BOHS will automatically send it to another marker for verification. This can delay the issue of your results letter.
If you have not received your results within the timeframe specified above, please contact your Customer Support Officer.
10. I have a learning disability / medical condition. What arrangements/assistance do I have access to?
If you have a learning disability of medical condition;
- notify your training provider as soon as possible, to allow them time to discuss and implement any adjustments you may need whilst on the course and;
- notify BOHS as soon as possible, to ensure evidence can be obtained and measure put in place in time for your examination.
In order to fully assess your needs, we may need to contact you.
We will advise the training provider of the outcome of the assessment.
Please Note: Evidence* of a learning disability/medical condition is required in order to assess necessary adjustments.
*Evidence usually consists of a medical report/letter from your GP outlining the condition and what requirements are needed.
18. I am not satisfied by the level of teaching by the training provider, what can I do?
Step One – Contact your training provider and follow their complaints procedure.
Step Two – If the issue is still unresolved, please email your complaint to firstname.lastname@example.org.
19. Can I view my marked exam script to aid my revision?
You will automatically receive feedback on your written examination performance along with their results letter for all Proficiency modules. The feedback shows a breakdown of your marks against sections of the relevant syllabus or course specification.
For all syllabuses or course specifications please click here.
Please Note: We will NOT provide a copy of the candidate’s examination paper or information about individual questions.